Thursday 9 February 2012

Gu Energy Gel, Espresso Love - Review

After my last ultra, I wanted to make some adjustments to my gearing choices.  My 10 litre bag was full to the brim with food, water and clothes and weighed close to 7kg!

I saw others in the race with nothing more than a camelbak.  "Where is their food? "  I thought, plodding along with my heavy pack whilst they trotted off into the distance.

I was a great believer in proper food over manufactured supplements.  I'd rather have some jaffa cakes and chocolate raisins any day of the week, but enough of these for a 50 miler, going on 12 hours, was what filled my bag to bursting point and ultimately ruined my race.

I did some research and came to the conclusion they must be using gels!  So I thought before my next ultra I would try survivng solely on gels for food in long training runs.  One an hour, 12 gels, is a lot less space than 12 hours worth of jaffa cakes!

Gu seem to have a very good name in the energy gel industry, so I went for them. I am a fan of coffee, and the Espresso Love were the cheapest, so I went for a box of them.  I was hoping they weren't cheap because they were horrible!

I have used them in training for a few weeks now and I am pleasantly surprised.  I love the taste, they haven't felt sickly sweet at all yet, I think the bitterness of the coffee helps, as I've heard complaints of other being too sweet!

As for performance, I didnt notice any improvements from eating normal food, which is good.  I wasn't left feeling hungry on one gel per hour, and I could maintain my usual pace for the usual time.

My only criticism is how thick they are.  In cold weather, you basically have to chew them.  Best to take with a little water and mix it in your mouth into a paste!

I feel confident that I would be able to survive for upwards of 5 hours on these things,  I feel like I would want a little real food for a 12 hour run, but for the majority of the time, these will be all i will carry.


You can buy a pack here GU Energy Gel, 24-Pack Espresso Love





1 comment:

  1. This is a good post. This post gives truly quality information. I’m definitely going to look into it. Really very useful tips are provided here. Thank you so much. Keep up the good works.
    waist pouch

    ReplyDelete