Wednesday 1 February 2012

OMM Ultra Waist Pouch - Kit Review

Having browsed the local running shops extensively for a pouch suitable for all my needs, I eventually settled on the OMM Ultra Waist pouch.

I prefer pouches to rucksacks because I find the shoulder straps quite restricting, and the prefer the weight down low.

The reason I chose this pack over others, like the inov8 race pro 4 is that I prefer the ease of filling bottles at aid stations, rather than fiddling with a bladder.  I can carry a small amount of water to get me from station to station, rather than having a full bladder and extra weight!

The pack is a 6 litre pack which is plenty for me on 99% of runs. I usually set off wearing all my layers and have to eventually take off my hat, and my lightweight waterproof, both of which fit in the main compartment easily.  Presuming my run in less than 4-5 hours, I can fit enough food/gels easily in there as well.  There is also a separate compartment in the main pocket where I like to put my phone and wallet, for easy access.

Another lovely thing about this pouch is the easy access zipped pocket on the left hip.  I have asthma and have to carry an inhaler at all times, this pocket is perfect for that, plus a few energy gels!.

You can carry a water bottle (supplied) quite effectively as well.  There is a pocket on the rear for this.  Once the bottle is in the holder, you just tighten up the bungee cord and all bounce is basically eliminated.  I couldn't even tell I was carrying it.

Bounce for the whole pack is kept to a minimum by the compression straps around the front.  I can really get these tight without feeling i'm going to break something, and its perfect for flying down hills!

Good points:

  • Water bottle instead of bladder
  • Hip pocket for gels
  • Plenty of room for all running essentials
  • Minimal bounce when tight.
Bad Points:

  • The water bottle bungee cord came off, so I had to improvise with some shoelace, works even better than before!
  • Possible durability issues,  water bottle holder starting to show signs of wear where it connects to main pouch.
  • If there is not much stuff in it, the large pocket can bounce.

You can buy one from here: OMM Ultra Waist Pouch



No comments:

Post a Comment