Tuesday 7 February 2012

Wadsworth Trog Preparation

After an unsuccessful recce of the trog last week, I must admit I am a little bit worried!

I managed to cover 18 miles of the trog, but it could have been less as I got extremely lost up on the open moorland, and took a few wrong turns, adding some miles.

On the return to High Brown Knoll, I decided to call it a day and make my way back down to Old Town, missing out the final 2 checkpoints.

I was destroyed.  Shattered.  Physically and mentally.

The never ending frozen tussocks, bottle ice, frozen mud to twist ankles on, and plunges into icy slush took their toll on me and I was well ready to get back to the Cricket Club cafe and get some cake, much less coherent than I was earlier in the day!

Bear in mind I was doing a recce.  No pressure.  Easy jog and walk where I needed to.  There was nothing easy about it.  Even walking through some of the terrain is exhausting.

I was cursing the fact that everything was frozen, but I have heard from others, including the organiser, that it is even harder when thawed out.  This baffles my mind!

I look forward to writing a successful race report.  I know I will complete it, but will it be competitive?  Maybe not.

I feel for all but the most elite of runners this will be a test of grit and mental strength rather than physical ability.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. mental strength!!!!!!!!!!,stop nicking my phrases

    ReplyDelete